Friday 30 March 2012

The fairtrade world of HAPPINESS



As a member of the Good Values Club I got involved with the Asian Foundation for Philanthropy [AFP] and made a movie called “The Twisted World” as part of the Naitika programme.

The people who work in the fairtrade factories are treated with respect but people who work in the non fairtrade factories are tortured and are forced to work over time with no extra payments. Also they work in unhygienic conditions, They don’t get paid enough, but in the fair trade factories would get the Indian minimum wage and don’t have to do much overtime but get paid for overtime , also you get hygienic conditions to work in.

While working on the Naitika project I made a movie about comparing fairtrade and non-fairtrade factories. We showed the difference in conditions in both factories and also how differently the garment workers are treated.

The movie I made shows how some people are treated well and how some are treated badly. I had a lot of help from some stories example: The Roopa Story, The story of Roopa was basically about a girl who was found dead in a factory because of the threats she was receiving from her employers. They caused her to be stressed about her work which resulted in her committing suicide. Also different kinds of facts about garment workers helped me make the movie .

From the movie that I made I have learnt a lot from it and how we should buy more fairtrade items because it helps the garment workers to earn a decent living. This experience has made a huge impact and has opened my eyes and now I buy more fair-trade items because it helps other people in India and other developing countries to survive and have the basic necessities they need in life and I hope you enjoyed reading my article.

Mohit Mistry, Good Values Club

No comments:

Post a Comment